Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Meet the Artisan of Goldenberry



My Guest today is TINA, the inspiration behind the Etsy Shop, Goldenberry.
Tina ships her beautiful creations from Cyprus, a place I've always wanted to visit. Let's visit with Tina and learn what influences her creativity.



Hi!

I’m Tina, a former Web Developer gone crafter. I’ve always enjoyed making things, building something and having a finished product at the end that I know I have worked to create. It gives me a big sense of achievement and satisfaction. I’m a big fan of recycling and embroidery and try to incorporate both into my handmade purses. I love fabrics, colors, yarn, crochet, sewing, nature, growing my own food, travel, books, music and sleep :)


Tina, what got you interested in art?

My grandmother. She was constantly crocheting something and I loved watching her work. She used to crochet with the tiniest hook and very fine cotton to create bed spreads and table covers. She would hardly look at what she was doing, it was so natural and automatic, she would watch TV whilst crocheting and rarely make a mistake. One day, I finally built up the courage to ask her to show me how to crochet and she did :) Every now and then, I use crochet as my breakaway medium, when I need a change and something a bit more relaxing.

Do you work alone? 

Yes, I work on my own. Another reason why I love crafting so much is that it gives me time to think, not only about my projects but also about everyday life. I enjoy the quiet, the sound of the scissors cutting the fabric, the “chuka chuka" of the sewing machine and the sound of the embroidery thread being pulled through the fabric. All these small noises help me to focus and makes me enjoy it all the more.

What are your can’t-live-without craft-room essentials?

Number 1 is definitely my unpicker! Sometimes, I think I spend more time unpicking than sewing. I also can’t do without a pair of scissors, a ruler, a fabric pencil, a needle and a collection of buttons.

What's your favorite color and why?

Yellow. It’s so bright and sunny. It makes me feel happy, confident, inspired, energetic and ready to go.

What does the color red inspire in your imagination and emotions?

Red has always been a negative color for me. I’m not entirely sure why but it makes me feel sad, vulnerable and sometimes angry. In my mind it brings very negative imagery.


Do you prefer straight or curvy lines?

When I draw my embroidery patterns, my pencil always comes out with curves first. I need to make a real conscious effort to draw straight lines. I recently handmade a geometric purse with triangular embroidery and found it much harder than my usual curves or flowers.

Do you travel for inspiration?

My husband and I only recently came back from a 9 month trip around the world. We started off in Italy, traveled through various European countries, went over to Cambodia and Singapore, then down to Australia and New Zealand and then finished in Japan. It was such an amazing experience and I saw so many types of craft, colors and designs that I think it does come into my work. I would love to make travel my main source of inspiration! Wouldn’t we all?

How do you achieve texture and depth in your work?

I think my embroidery gives both depth and texture to my purses. I use the natural colors of the faded upcycled denim I use to create new embroidered patterns.

How do you know when a work is finished?

When I am happy with it :) If I look at my handmade pouch and feel like it is still missing something, then I continue until I feel like it is at a stage that I would use it for myself. If I am happy with it and I would be willing to pay for it, then it’s finished.



What’s your favorite piece of work that you've created?

My favorite is my upcycled flower purse (pictured). I really like the green embroidery along the top that brings out the seam that was there at the base of the trousers. I also love how the flowers turned out and I really enjoyed making them.






Visit Tina at the following Links:

Etsy Shop - www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ByGoldenberry

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/byGoldenberry/

Pinterest -  https://uk.pinterest.com/costantina/handmade-by-goldenberry/

Instagram -  https://www.instagram.com/by.goldenberry/

Twitter -  https://twitter.com/byGoldenberry





6 comments:

  1. Lovely products Tina. I love to recycle, repurpose and reuse products everyday to save the planet landfills as much as I can. Great job! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words Marsha! Great to hear you are also into recycling, it's become a big part of my crafting and my personal life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article! We love crafting and sewing as well. Reusing has recently started to matter to me a lot more and I try to find another use for something instead of just throw it away now. Great job on your items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bronte! I'm so glad you like them.

      Delete
  4. Lynda, thank you for introducing us to Tina, owner of Goldenberry on Etsy.

    Tina you are a delight and I love your way of describing what you do. . . chuka, chuka of your sewing machine, the sound of the embroidery thread as you draw it through the fabric. . . I relate to all of that too! You have a wonderful selection of goods and love that you up-cycle and recycle goods to a useful means.
    Wishing you much success with your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanna! Your words mean a lot!

      Delete