Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Do You ShopLatitude? Young Artisan Interview

I'm happy to welcome my guest today, Mahika, a young artisan who has a keen perception of beauty and design. Be sure to visit her Etsy shop, Shoplatitude, and browse her unique jewelry listings.


Mahika, what are you doing when you’re not creating? 
I love singing, playing the piano, and playing the guitar. I also love volunteering to help out my community!

Do you have long-term professional goals? 
I'm looking into careers in psychology and human rights, although that's a long way down the road, as I am currently in high school! I would love a career that gives back. 

Do you travel for inspiration?
Yes, I do travel, since my business is grounded in inspiration from my travels. I sell travel-inspired jewelry, and the culture I soak up from the places I visit all around the world helps me get inspired

What are your can’t-live-without craft-room essentials?
I have got to have at least two pairs of pliers, a hot glue gun, an assortment of jump rings and chain, and whatever beads I happen to be working with.

When do you feel the most creative?
Creativity for me comes in sudden bursts of inspiration. However, I will admit I am a night owl and definitely not a morning person. 

Why do you think people should continue to make things by hand?
Handmade items are unique and made with love! So often people find poorly constructed mass manufactured items in stores and buy them just for the brand name! Buying handmade means buying something that comes from the heart, that's made just for you, and that will support the artisans creativity and possibly their family. 

Why are you in this type of business?
I have always been interested in fashion and design. I've naturally always been creatively inclined and so jewelry making was very interesting and enjoyable for me.

Was your business planned, or did it naturally evolve?
Two years ago I set up a handmade jewelry and hair accessory stand to raise money for autistic children in San Francisco. That was the beginning of my mission to form a link between fashion and philanthropy.

How has technology, such as computers and the internet, impacted on how you conduct business?
Technology has helped me immensely. I've been able to meet and interact with so many amazing people through Etsy teams and social media. I love the Etsy community!

Can you describe your target audience? 
My target audience includes wanderlust souls and avid travelers, as well as women and girls on the search for stylish jewelry that gives back!

Are you willing do do interviews, collaborative projects, product or travel location reviews?

I would love to do collabs or interviews!







Mahika Halepete
Founder 
Latitude Design Studio




No comments:

Post a Comment