Thursday, March 16, 2017

Fabric Art In Progress - Let What Happens...happen!



Working on a water element...hum...
Art projects are very subjective no matter what medium you work in. Where to start, what focal point, light source, values, composition, color, texture, and other aspects need attention? Don't over think the process! Fly by the seat of your pants...let what happens-happen. Sometimes your gut feeling is better than years of training, at the very least, what you end up with will be uniquely yours.
still building a body of water...

I'm deeply buried inside a new fabric collage art piece. You've often heard me say that, when writing, my characters will, at some point, take over the story. The same thing happens when I get into a new
art piece. I begin with a hazy destination in mind, but along the way, the piece starts telling me what it needs, where it wants to go, how it wants to feel. *Ditsy but true.

CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

It's an exciting way to design because I'm never sure where the
Water element finds a home...
What comes next?
end of the journey will take me. Yes, occasionally I've fallen off a cliff, but somehow I always seem to survive the fall.

For those of you who follow my fabric art and who've asked me to create a tutorial, you'll be glad to know that I am creating a PDF photo tutorial of this piece as I progress. When it's finished it will be available in my Etsy Shop, ICKY CHIC DESIGNS.  I will be creating PDF tutorials for all my future projects, so check back throughout the year to see what's new. At the moment I have one tutorial that has TWO pieces showcased, one collage technique and one mosaic. View that here. If you've never tried this and have no clue where to begin, the tutorials will give you a photo-guide. There is also a starter kit containing a background fabric and a collection of fused fabrics to get you going, if you need that.

As you can see in the photo on the left, the right half of this fabric collage is beginning to form a scene we can recognize. I say beginning, because it still needs a lot of detailing. However, it's now taking on a life of it's own. If you study it for just a little bit, it will begin to talk to you too, telling you what needs to come next, what's working and what's not. I bet you didn't know that art required good listening skills, did you? :)

Happy designing everyone!



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful work of art you are making Lynda. I am so excited about the PDF tutorial in your Etsy shop. I will be getting one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha, If you try this technique, be sure and send me a photo of your work. Would love to see what you create. Have fun!

      Delete