Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Book Review - First Ten Pages - Dangerous Ladies Affair


 As a reader, if my interest isn't stirred in the first ten pages of a book, it's most likely I won't take the time to read the rest of the story. First impressions do matter... 
So, what exactly is the point of a ten page review? Obviously it's not the story itself, the effectiveness of the plot development, the quality of character development or the overall talent of the author. What I'm reviewing is the author's ability to draw me into their story in just a few pages. Can they give me a sense of place and time, set the tone of the story, make me care about their protagonist, and give me impelling reason to keep reading. In today's competitive market, an author only gets a few pages to make all that happen for a reader. The rating reflects my view on those elements. It doesn't reflect on the whole book, since I haven't read the entire story. So I encourage those who read these reviews to keep that in mind and to peruse other reviews to help make your buying decisions.


Title: Dangerous Ladies Affair 
Author: Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini
Genre: Mystery
Buy Now
Review Rating: *** Hum...Has Possibilities - Getting Excited

Review Comments: I would have rated this a little higher if the setting description hadn't been so long in the beginning. It was well done and did slide nicely into the character introductions, but if it had been sparsely scattered throughout the following dialogue, it would have kept my attention better. There is enough mystery introduced along with a troublesome character or two that boded well for future excitement.

A few story elements gleaned from the first ten pages: Historical, San Francisco, Cyclists, Female Detective, Women's Suffrage, Threatening notes using Bible quotes.

Quote from Book:
  ~ "Oh, Lord, no. Policemen in general hold our cause in low regard; you know that. They would merely dismiss me as a hysterical female and do nothing." ~





No comments:

Post a Comment