Monday, June 12, 2017

Book Review - First Ten Pages - Too Many Women in the Room by Joanne Guidoccio

As a reader, if my interest isn't stirred in the first ten pages of a book, it's most likely I
won't take the time to read the rest of the story. First impressions do matter...

So, what exactly is the point of a ten page review? Obviously, it's not the story itself, the effectiveness of the plot development, the quality of character development, or the overall talent of the author. What I'm reviewing is the author's ability to draw me into their story in just a few pages. Can they give me a sense of place and time, set the tone of the story, make me care about their protagonist, and give me an impelling reason to keep reading. In today's competitive market, an author only gets a few pages to make all that happen for a reader. The rating reflects my view on those elements. It doesn't reflect on the whole book, since I haven't read the entire story. So I encourage those who read these reviews to keep that in mind and to peruse other whole-book reviews to help make your buying decisions.


Title: Too Many Women in the Room
Author: Joanne Guidoccio
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Buy Now

Review Rating: **** Intrigued - Taking This Home

Review Comments: 
Prologue: The author introduced me to a nameless man on the first page and instantly, I detested him, hoping that somehow, someone would straighten out this good-for-nothing creep! Page 2, and I was ready to do the job myself... Page 3, It appears someone else had the same thought, only they have no aversion to violence.

This was a good example of making me, the reader, care about the character. To be effective, I didn't necessarily have to like the character, feel sympathy for him, or fall head-over-heels in love with him. I just need to connect on a level that fired some emotional response that kept me turning pages. Well done!

A few story elements gleaned from the first ten pages: 
A husband unexpectantly meets his wife on a jogging path at midnight. She has a knife.

Quote from Book:
~ His eyes traveled around the deserted field. Not a soul. And that was the appeal of running close to the midnight hour. 

This is not how he had planned his demise, not by a long shot. ~





FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST.....Look for these awesome boards - Fabulous Foods - Birdie, Birdie in the Sky - Let's Decorate For Fun - Gems and Jewelry - For the Love of Tea - and Many More!

4 comments: