Monday, July 3, 2017

Book Review - First Ten Pages - Song of the Yukon by Trisha Sugarek

As a reader, if my interest isn't stirred in the first ten pages of a book, it's most likely I won't take the time to read the rest of the story. First impressions do matter...

So, what exactly is the point of a ten page review? Obviously, it's not the story itself, the effectiveness of the plot development, the quality of character development, or the overall talent of the author. What I'm reviewing is the author's ability to draw me into their story in just a few pages. Can they give me a sense of place and time, set the tone of the story, make me care about their protagonist, and give me an impelling reason to keep reading. In today's competitive market, an author only gets a few pages to make all that happen for a reader. The rating reflects my view on those elements. It doesn't reflect on the whole book, since I haven't read the entire story. So I encourage those who read these reviews to keep that in mind and to peruse other whole-book reviews to help make your buying decisions.


Title: Song of the Yukon
Author: Trisha Sugarek
Genre: Historical Adventure/Romance
Publisher: Tess Publishing, LLC

Review Rating: **** Intrigued - Taking This Home

Review Comments: 
Prologue: The story opens with a cabin building scene. Neighbors have gathered to help LaVerne dry in her cabin in the Alaskan forest by adding the roof. I could picture the activity and smell the sodbuster biscuits. Immediately, my interest is growing in this single young woman who has staked her claim to eighty acres under the Homestead Act. How LaVerne gets to Alaska makes for a wonderful reading experience and sets up what promises to be a truly fun adventure.

Quote from Book:
     “I’m not going as a girl, Ivah. I’m going to hide my hair under a cap and wear Eddie’s old clothes. This way I can sign on as a kitchen helper or a steward...I think that’s what they call them. By the time they find out I’m a girl, either they won’t care or it will be too late to turn back. They can’t very well throw me overboard.”




No comments:

Post a Comment