Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Book Review - First Ten Pages - Home Field by Laurie Winter


So, what exactly is the point of a ten page review? Obviously, it's not the story itself, the effectiveness of the plot development, the quality of character development, or the overall talent of the author. What I'm reviewing is the author's ability to draw me into their story in just a few pages. Can they give me a sense of place and time, set the tone of the story, make me care about their protagonist, and give me an impelling reason to keep reading. In today's competitive market, an author only gets a few pages to make all that happen for a reader. The rating reflects my view on those elements. It doesn't reflect on the whole book, since I haven't read the entire story. So I encourage those who read these reviews to keep that in mind and to peruse other whole-book reviews to help make your buying decisions.


Title: Home Field
Author: Laurie Winter
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Review Rating: 
**** Intrigued - Taking This Home
Review Comments: 
Prologue: A soldier sits in a military camp in an Afghanistan desert and writes two letters to his wife back home. The first one is easy--the second one, not so much. After all, in Afghanistan, nothing was ever safe. Chapter one begins seventeen months later, and the reader realizes that what they'd feared would happen, did.

Author Laurie Winter sat me on the edge of my seat with a dreadful premonition in her opening prologue. I almost wanted to chunk the book against the wall when I finished the first ten pages. But, that wasn't going to happen... The last thing I could do was leave this soldier's wife without knowing how things would turn out for her. And I had yet to know what he had written in that second letter...

Quote from Book:
~ His hand shook as he wrote the words he hoped no one would ever have to read. This one was placed in a blank envelope he’d hand to Heath before they left for their mission tomorrow. Heath might resist John’s instructions at first, but he ultimately trusted Heath would see his wishes carried through. ~




No comments:

Post a Comment