Monday, September 11, 2017

Book Review - First Ten Pages - Lipstick on the Strawberry


So, what exactly is the point of a ten page review? Obviously, it's not the story itself, the effectiveness of the plot development, the quality of character development, or the overall talent of the author. What I'm reviewing is the author's ability to draw me into their story in just a few pages. Can they give me a sense of place and time, set the tone of the story, make me care about their protagonist, and give me an impelling reason to keep reading. In today's competitive market, an author only gets a few pages to make all that happen for a reader. The rating reflects my view on those elements. It doesn't reflect on the whole book, since I haven't read the entire story. So I encourage those who read these reviews to keep that in mind and to peruse other whole-book reviews to help make your buying decisions.


Title: Lipstick on the Strawberry
Author: Margaret Ann Spence
Genre: Women's Fiction
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press

Review Rating: 
*** Hum... Has Possibilities - I'll read ten more pages


Review Comments: 
The first paragraph of this book gave me both a chuckle and a sense of foreboding. With my emotions effectively engaged, I naturally had to see what the next few pages offered. Next, Camilla receives a phone call informing her of her father's death. She needs to return to England for the funeral, but negatives vibes seeped into the pages at this turn of events. Why doesn't she want to go back? Why questions get me every time! I'll have to keep reading.

Quote from Book:
They say if you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen. But actually, when I heard the news, I wanted to crawl back and put my head in the oven. 





No comments:

Post a Comment